Women over 50 often find that their sleep patterns have changed. Many women find it more difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night. The good news is that there are solutions to improve your sleep. See HelpGuide.org’s article for more information on sleep and aging.
Why Sleep Matters
Getting enough sleep matters because it directly impacts your overall health and weight gain. Not getting enough sleep increases your risks for heart disease, diabetes, lack of focus and obesity.
Too little sleep has been shown to impact how much you eat and what you eat. One of the main cravings is for food high in carbohydrates. Obviously these foods promote weight gain.
Ways To Improve Your Sleep
- Shut off electronics including the tv at least an hour before bedtime.
- Develop a consistent bedtime routine. This might include a bath, reading or preparing for the next day.
- Exercise is a must during the day. It is proven that physically active people sleep better than those who are not active.
- Avoid caffeine in the evening. Caffeine can remain in your system for up to 8 hours. This can cause sleep interruption well into the night.
- Naps are great as long as you take them early in the afternoon. Avoid napping after 3:00p.m.
- Maintain a cool and dark atmosphere in your bedroom when it is time to sleep. You simply sleep better in this kind of environment.
These tips can greatly improve your ability to sleep well. If you still have problems, then speak with your doctor about potential use of sleep aid medication or natural products such as melatonin and valerian.
For more detailed information, check out “Catch zzzs, Drop Lbs” from Prime Women Magazine.
You may also want to check out my latest “Wise Word Wednesday” post “Be Your Own Best Friend“. Taking care of yourself is an invest in yourself!