I do love to learn and that is what I have been doing with Hello Fresh meal kits. If you’ve read any of my posts on cooking, then you know that I do not enjoy the task. In addition I am not particularly skilled in the kitchen.
Each week I choose 3 meals for two and have them delivered to my house. The box contains all of the ingredients to prepare each recipe. Easy to follow instructions with gorgeous pictures are also included. Even a non-skilled cook like me can prepare restaurant quality meals with this method.
There are a variety of recipes from which to choose. In addition, each recipe provides information about ingredients and how much time it will take to prepare. One of the categories is the “gourmet” recipes. These take a little more time and skill. I got brave one week and chose “Duck A L’Orange”. Here is how it worked out!
Duck A L’Orange
The complete meal is Duck A L’Orange with Duck Fat Mashed Potatoes & Arugula Almond Salad. Let’s just say I was ecstatic to see that a salad was one of the sides. I knew I could pull that off!!
Similar recipes on the internet usually call for a whole duck to be cooked. The beauty of the Hello Fresh meal kits system is that the meals are perfectly portioned for two or four people. My meal kit included 2 duck breasts rather than a whole duck.
A Peak At The Process
- First I chopped all of the produce. I simply like to get the “chopping” done all at once.
- Next, I began boiling the potatoes.
- Cooking the duck was next. I have never cooked duck before, so this was a new experience. I started out with the heat too high and quickly figured that I needed to cook it a little slower. This was probably the most difficult part of the recipe for me.
- I then prepared the orange sauce. The sauce includes a variety of ingredients, so reading the instructions is important.
- Once the duck was done, the orange sauce and a few other ingredients went into the pan with butter. And just like that a beautiful sauce resulted.
- The potatoes were mashed with sour cream.
- Lastly the salad ingredients were combined and ready to plate.
My favorite thing about the Hello Fresh recipes is that when cooking is complete, you simply divide the food between two plates. It is so simple. I believe my efforts turned out well. By the way, it tasted delicious too. Robby said it was one of his favorites.
Without question, this was one of the most difficult recipes that I have tried. I felt very proud to have cooked this dish and that it turn out great! I have learned so many new things about food and cooking though this experience.
Hello Fresh meal kits have changed our eating habits for the better. I am actually excited to get my box each week and now I enter the kitchen with confidence. There is no waste and all containers are recyclable. I highly recommend HelloFesh.com. Click below and choose a plan to get started today!