It’s Monday night ….. I cooked both Saturday and Sunday ….I really don’t want to cook anything tonight …… what am I going to do? I don’t know if you ever feel this way, but this is a repeating story in my head. You see, I have never enjoyed cooking. I DO enjoy eating, but I cook simply because we need to eat. I had more motivation when the girls were at home, but since it’s just Robby and I, finding motivation is really hard.
Fortunately during my weekly grocery shopping, I had purchased all that I needed to prepare an easy no fuss 1 dish meal. It actually takes me longer to open the cans than it does to cook. I don’t have a name for it, but here are the ingredients:
- 1 can black beans or tri-bean blend (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can “confetti corn” drained
- 1 can black eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can Rotel (drained and rinsed)
- 2 bags Perdue Roasted chicken strips (chopped in cubes) – you can add cooked ground beef, non-meat crumbles, or no protein at all
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese (1cup before heating/1 cup on top after heating)
- taco sauce (amount to your liking)
Combine all the ingredients above (reserve 1 cup of cheese) in a large bowl and mix together well. Transfer to a large skillet, cover with lid and heat over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes. Since there is no raw meat to be cooked, you are simply warming everything up and melting the cheese. When dish is hot, remove from heat and top with remaining cup of cheese. DONE!
You can pair this dish with a salad, scoop it with chips, put it in taco shells or even stuff bell peppers with it. It is delicious and the best part is that I always have leftovers!!